Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Packing for the holidays

If you have ever tried to pack up any of your craft/hobby/art supplies for a trip, then you can sympathize with how much of a hassle it can be.  Do I take this set of tools, or that one?  Should I take these beads to work with, along with my crochet...or should I just focus on one project?  What if I have a bunch of free time and wish I had brought X?  What if I don't work on anything at all and just dragged these supplies around for nothing??

Such was my dilemma at 1am this morning.  While a pumpkin cheesecake was cooling on the counter, I was rifling through my clay and trying to decide what projects I might want to work with, what was absolutely essential to take with me and what I realistically would have time for, if there is any time to spare.

Enter: My new organizer.  This is the one I was drooling over at Jerry's a few weeks ago and fortunately, I found one (the last one) in a store closer to me.  I had a coupon at the time, so I just went ahead and picked it up. 


Squee!  It makes me happy every time I look at it.  The handle is round and does not dig into your hand.  The lid has a flip open section for storing small items, such as tools or other essentials...*ahem*


Don't judge me.  In my line of work, I never get the opportunity to paint my nails, so I thought I would toss these in just in case I have "more time." :P


Open the lid completely and you have a great drop in tray that stores a LOT of clay, or anything else you would like, for that matter.  My tool case that my boyfriend gave me for my birthday this summer also fits nicely in there, so it's the perfect compartment.


The bottom is the standard, empty toolbox bottom.  I did not want the clay to react with the plastic, so I lined the bottom with tinfoil and using some spare foam, I cut it to size and wrapped it up as well, creating a divider.  I have shells, armatures and miscellaneous on one side and finished projects will rest on the other side.  In time, I think I will probably divide this into three compartments and maybe put a secondary shelf.  The box is deep enough to allow that.

This will be it's maiden voyage.  I'm curious to see how it holds up, if I'll actually use it and whether it will be a better stay at home storage tote or if it will be ideal for traveling.  I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!  Will you try to tackle a project or will you take it easy and focus on more...culinary projects? :D

2 comments:

  1. What a cool box!
    Have a safe trip. I'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of organizers and like your travel box.
    I understand your dilemma over what to bring - you don't want to bring a lot of extra stuff, but you want to make sure you have what you need if you have time to work on something. I usually have a couple of different things, just in case I don't feel like working on one thing, I have another.

    ReplyDelete