Sunday, September 16, 2012

Work Table Weekend

Every once in awhile, you have to tackle a new project.  It gives one time to step back from a familiar medium, (for me, clay) and makes me think outside the box a bit.  This past weekend, that venture outside my comfort zone was playing with fabric.

I adore fabric. I love the different patterns, colors and designs that you can find.  They absolutely fascinate me.  But, I have a confession.  I cannot sew.  My boyfriend uses my sewing machine more than I do at this point.  I do plan to learn more than basic straight lines and sewing pillows...but for right now, my gatherings of fabric sit dejected...unused.



Imagine my delight when I discovered a cover button set.  You just select a pattern you like, cut it out...slide it over the cover button and pop the back on.  Poof! Instant adorable button that you can then fix to all sorts of thing...coats, backpacks, purses, keychains, etc!  Above is just a few of the buttons I've made so far...it's been a lot of fun and I have a ton of ideas for them.  I have some more made, but I won't picture them yet, since they are going to be holiday gifts this winter for friends. :)

Also, last weekend, I had a friend come home with me.  He brought along a small aquarium.  My new betta sits in my office/dining room and keeps me company as I write and work. 


Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. The buttons are so cute. How big are they?

    The fish is very pretty. Will this be a model for future creations? Watching fish is very relaxing - nice to have in your home office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those buttons would be so adorable on ponytail holders for little girls too!
    Love the betta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, great idea on the ponytail holders, Star! Pamela, the buttons are size 60, 1 1/2" across.

    I would love to do some fish sculptures too. I actually started sketching out some ideas this summer on a few, one that was going to be going into the State Fair, but, alas, I have not started and there is no way it could be finished in time.

    Hopefully soon and the betta will definitely play a big part in being my muse :)

    ReplyDelete